Monday, December 20, 2004

Unfortunately...Christmas-Cookie Calories Do Count

The holidays equal pounds, right?

I just read an article that says the average American gains seven pounds each year during the holidays. I like to think of myself as a good "average American," but that's one group I don't need to be a part of! Luckily, my friend Margie Garrison reminded me of ten little words that will help keep my waistline from growing this holiday. More on Margie's advice later...

Margie Garrison is a really wonderful person with an amazing story of physical health and a genuine loving spirit. I have gotten to know her through my website and have been inspired by her story. If you don't know, Margie has overcome life-destroying arthritis pain and has enjoyed a normal life (for the first time in her life) for years! In addition, Margie also gone from being a self-described "disgustingly obese" person to a healthy, happy, pain-free woman by losing 120 pounds and keeping it off!

Cool and inspirational stuff, huh? Read her stories, if you haven't already, the next time you're feeling sorry for yourself or hopeless.

It's hard not to get pumped up after talking with Margie, so I am putting my money where my mouth is. So far this holiday season I've not only not gained any weight, I've lost three pounds! I'm using my Fun Factor prescription and it's simple, easy, and fun.

For example, one of my Fun Commandments is to Celebrate Everything.

How often do we celebrate, individually or in groups, with food? Eating is a ritual around which we plan our day and food is commonly used to reward ourselves. Of course, I encourage the celebrating - but why not reward ourselves with something else?


  • Some time alone

  • A new book

  • A phone call to a friend we've not spoken to in a while

  • A great movie

  • A trip to the mall with a fun companion

  • Enlisting someone else to wash those dirty dishes


No empty calories there!

I'm currently writing about my experiences using The Fun Factor to lose weight and I'll let you know when the free article becomes available on my website.

In the meantime, back to Margie and her ten words of wisdom. Like all wisdom, the words are simple. So simple that I forget them all the time!

Margie reminded me that so often we suffer needlessly because we wait; we wait for outside motivation to "save us." The ten words that Margie shared are words you've heard before, but maybe you need to be reminded of them like I did: "If it is to be, it is up to me."

Cliff Kuhn, M.D.
The Laugh Doctor

The Natural Medicine of Humor
"Discover a unique, FREE, and incredibly powerful prescription created by a stressed-out Kentucky psychiatrist"

The Blog Directory

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home