Sunday, September 25, 2005

How To Get Your Hair Cut Like A Wealthy Person

My family was one of the reasons humor has always been so special to me; we were poor, growing up outside of Philadelphia, but my Dad always kept us loose and carefree with his slapstick comedy.

I remember, once, Dad rushed me to the hospital in his boxer shorts after I had split my tongue falling from my tricycle. He had been in the house taking a nap and ran out without a thought about his clothes. We all laughed about that for many years.

Last week, while being prepped for a photo shoot, it occurred to me how much my life has changed. As the make-up artist gave my head a fresh shave for the camera, I remembered how my brother and I got haircuts as youngsters. It sure was different back then!

Do you know how a person without much money gets a haircut? My brother and I sure do! Because we could only afford a haircut (at most) once a month, we were taught to schedule them strategically.

You see, a poor person has to have his hair cut like clothing is purchased for a growing child; you have to get your hair cut shorter than the optimal length because you're going to go at least another month before you get another cut. You get your hair cut to "grow into it."

So once my brother and I started caring about our appearances, we would carefully script our haircuts. I knew that my teenaged hair looked best exactly six days after my haircut - after six days of post-haircut growth, my hair was (what I considered) the perfect length. So, if I had a big date, I would schedule a haircut six days prior to it.

My brother Doug did the same. We never imagined a life with enough money that we could get our hair cut the optimal length on the actual day of our haircuts! My how life has changed.

That is a great example of how humor got us through what could've been tough times. We never thought of our circumstances as bad, however, because we were always looking for the lighter side of life. And I want to help you do to the same...starting today I want to help you find great happiness in your everyday circumstances.

Just click the links you see in this blog and under my signature. You'll be on your way!


Cliff Kuhn, M.D.
The Laugh Doctor
"it all starts with a SMILE"

The Natural Medicine of Humor
"Discover a unique, FREE, and incredibly powerful prescription created out of desperation by a (formerly) stressed-out Kentucky psychiatrist"

The Blog Directory

Listed on Blogwise

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home