Saturday, November 05, 2005

Why Are You Holding That Glass Of Water All Day?

At a talk I was giving recently, an audience member asked me to explain stress. Looking down, I noticed the glass of water the conference host had thoughtfully placed on the lecturn for me. I raised the glass of water and asked, "How heavy is this glass of water?"

Various answers rang out.

I acknowledged the responses and said, "The absolute weight doesn't matter. It depends on how long you try to hold it.”

"If I hold it for a minute, that's not a problem... If I hold it for an hour, I'll have an ache in my right arm…If I hold it for a day, you'll have to call an ambulance.

In each case, it's the same weight, but the longer I hold it, the heavier it becomes. "

I continued, "And that's the way it is with our worries and fears."

"If we carry our burdens all the time, sooner or later, as the burden becomes increasingly heavy, we become affected by them. And that's called stress."

"As with the glass of water, you have to put it down for a while and rest before holding it again."

"When we're refreshed, we can carry on. "

"And that is precisely why we were born with the amazing resource of humor. This natural medicine, which exists in abundance in your own personal chemisty, is capable of keeping your perspective off your fears and worries...regardless of your circumstances."

"Use humor to keep putting your glass down; there is no reason for your to hold it longer than a few seconds."


Cliff Kuhn, M.D.
The Laugh Doctor
"it all starts with a SMILE"

The Natural Medicine of Humor
"Discover a unique, FREE, and incredibly powerful prescription created out of desperation by a (formerly) stressed-out Kentucky psychiatrist"

The Blog Directory

Listed on Blogwise

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home