Wednesday, December 21, 2005

The Natural Medicine Of Humor Helps You With Santa's Identity

Thirty years ago my then nine-year-old son, Greg, asked me an earth-shattering question: "Dad, I want you to tell me the truth," he said. "Is Santa Claus real?"

I told him, without hesitation, that, "Yes, son, Santa Claus is real."

I wasn't The Laugh Doctor yet, but I was already investigating, and experimenting with, humor as a natural medicine. As a psychiatrist, I understood that your thoughts and attitudes create your reality. I intuitively knew that there was more to humor than the research was telling us.

It stood to reason that if you used humor as a natural medicine, you would change your reality as you changed your attitude. After all, life is like a glass of water - you either see it as half-full or half-empty. Either way it's the same glass of water - so, given the choice, why wouldn't you choose to see it as half-full?

And I've since proven, beyond the shadow of any doubt, that you have no better resource than the natural medicine of humor to help you see the glass as half-full today.

My early understanding of the natural medicine of humor helped me explain my answer to Greg. Here's what I told him:

"Yes, Greg, Santa is real.

Santa Claus is magical and he is real, but his magic is a special magic just for children who believe in him. The moment you decide not to believe in him, he is no longer real for you. And your Mom and I will then make your Christmas as special for you as Santa does.

Now, it's okay if you decide not to believe in Santa Claus; I promise you will still have a wonderful Christmas. But it's also okay to believe in Santa and, as long as you decide to do so, he is as real as I am."


To which my daughter, Rebecca, immediately chimed in, "Greg, I know Santa is real. Think about it - he brings us big, expensive presents. Mom and Dad can't afford those presents!"

Those words are still just as true today! Here's to your use of the natural medicine of humor this holiday season!


Cliff Kuhn, M.D.
The Laugh Doctor
"it all starts with a SMILE"

The Natural Medicine of Humor
"Discover a unique, FREE, and incredibly powerful prescription created out of desperation by a (formerly) stressed-out Kentucky psychiatrist"

The Blog Directory

Listed on Blogwise

2 Comments:

Blogger Lewis Clark said...

That is really beautiful thought and yes your daughter's answer stunts me as well. I also believe Santa is real if you think he is.

5:58 AM  
Blogger Sophie Grace said...

Great Information sharing .. I am very happy to read this article .. thanks for giving us go through info.Fantastic nice. I appreciate this post. tik tok video

9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home